Become a Hospice of St. Mary's Volunteer
Our volunteers are vital members of the Hospice of St. Mary's team. They help families we serve deal with illness, grief and loss. Whether you choose to work directly with patients and families, or you choose to participate in any other Hospice of St. Mary's volunteer opportunities, you'll be making a difference in someone's life.
Many of our volunteers were introduced to Hospice through the death of a family member and understand firsthand the value of hospice care. Volunteers consistently report that helping the terminally ill is not about dying, but about living.
Some of the ways you can help with direct patient care include:
- Reading or talking with a patient
- Staying with a patient while family members take a needed break or keep an appointment
- Shopping or running errands for a patient
- Providing transportation for a patient
- Listening to patients and families
- Helping patients write or tell their life stories
- Cooking or helping with light household chores
- Providing haircuts, manicures or helping with makeup
Specially trained patient care volunteers serve dying patients in the last hours of life by being present at the bedside. For many families, these volunteers provide extra emotional support at one of life's most difficult times. Our vigil companions provide a presence so no one dies alone.
Hospice House of St. Mary's
Hospice House is a six-bedroom home located off Route 5 in Callaway, Maryland. Hospice House offers a loved one the care he or she needs but cannot receive at home, in a comfortable, compassionate environment.
Volunteers are needed for:
- Grocery shopping
- Assisting with laundry
- Maintaining landscaping and flower beds
Many volunteers provide support to families as they work through the death of a loved one. Many volunteers choose to become grief companions to family members who have lost a loved one. Grief support is provided by:
- Calling or visiting bereaved families to offer emotional support and companionship
- Assisting with support groups and seasonal programs like Camp Sunrise and the Annual Memorial Service
- Typing, answering phones and filing at the Hospice of St. Mary's office
- Preparing mailings
View the following volunteer positions (and their descriptions):
You may download a hospice volunteer application here. Completed applications may be submitted to the Volunteer Office:
Hospice of St. Mary's
P.O. Box 625
Please call 301-994-3075 for more information.