Notice: Due to lack of participation, Hospice of St. Mary's has cancelled the 8 Week Teen Grief Group. If you are interested in grief support for any age, please contact the Bereavement and Grief department at 301-994-3565. The Bereavement Coordinator keeps a contact list and will contact those who have expressed interest when groups become available. Don't forget to RSVP to 301-994-3565 for the Holiday Grief Workshops.
Our Bereavement Department is committed to providing compassionate grief services and support to adults, teens, and children who are grieving the loss of a family member or close friend. Grief is a universal experience. No one can predict how long grieving will last or how to grieve. There are manifestations of grief common to all who undergo it. Understanding and dealing with these manifestations can be very helpful to people who experience the death of a loved one. For more information about the Bereavement Center offerings listed on this page, please call 301-994-3078 and ask for Bereavement and Grief services.
As an extension of the hospice philosophy, Hospice of St. Mary's offers grief support through our Bereavement Center, which encompasses the entire family as a unit of care. We offer services to families affected by a terminal illness and provide bereavement support after a death for up to 13 months. All services are provided by bereavement coordinators and trained volunteers. The center offers short-term grief counseling, education, and support to:
- Surviving family members and loved ones of Hospice of St. Mary's patients
- Community members, organizations, and schools
- Individuals in the healthcare profession
What Programs Does the Bereavement Center Offer?
Adults (ages 18 and older):
- Short-term individual and/or family counseling
- Up to 13 months of contact with families of Hospice patients
- Referral resources and information for long-term counseling base on community availability
- Adult support groups: Designed for individuals who have lost a loved one through death. Registration is required, please call for details. All programming is need based, please call to be added to a waitlist
Adolescents (sixth through twelfth grade):
- Teen Support Group: Designed for any adolescent who has lost a loved one through death. Registration is required, please call for details.
Camp Sunrise: Is designed for grades K-12 who have experience the death of a loved one in the last two years. This camp offers many forms of creative grief exploration, group support, and tangible comping skills for application.
Are you looking for additional help in dealing with a life-threatening illness or combating the grief of losing a loved one? Visit the links below for beneficial information during these difficult times.
Available to All Members of the Community
Our support groups, educational programs, and counseling services are available to all members of the community.
We do not charge a fee for our services. We ask only that those who are able to make a donation do so. Our goal is to continue to provide grief services to all members of our community, whether or not they have had a loved one served by Hospice of St. Mary's.
► Visit our calendar of events to find a support group or class.
► Learn about advance directives and living wills.